Pages

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Review: Bleedover by Curtis Hox


When I started reading this I wasn’t quite sure where it was going, we see Dr Harriet Sterling claiming that the New Phenomenon of Bleedover is all around us, books, TV, films - all being mysteriously altered. If I’m honest I struggled at first to get my head round the technicality of bleedover but once I’d got it I was intrigued to find out more.

I enjoyed the way the book was split into three different sections, each section building the background story for our final confrontation. I found that each detail of the background was important to understand the reasoning behind the obvious frictions between Hattie and Corbin - almost a lifelong battle had been between them. As well as detailing the background we also found out about each of the scenarios that had happened in the few weeks leading up to the final confrontation.

Part One - The Apple we see Alice (Hattie’s best student) stumble across the success of incanting by Towns’ earlier in the day, and then repeated again in front of Alice, Hattie and Masumi. This is the beginning of the end, if it wasn’t for this success then the final showdown would of waited a little bit longer!

Part Two - The Portal was a really good section, I was trying to read the book quicker so I could find out what was behind that door, and when we found out thought it was amazing!

Part Three - The Symposium was quite tense to say the least, I had a vague idea by then what would be happening at the end - just not sure how it was going to end and in whose favour! I thought that these final scenes were brilliantly written and at last had the pace that I missed throughout the rest of the book.

I enjoyed reading about each of the characters as it was nice for the book to focus on them all rather than just our two main characters Hattie and Corbin. We see that Alice is faithful and loyal throughout, we see Masumi in turmoil over her beliefs and we see Towns’ pushed to the limits.

All in all I enjoyed the book, a little technical in places but I suppose that’s to be expected with the Sci-Fi Fantasy genre. I found the storyline itself very intriguing and it definitely got me thinking.



To buy a copy please visit: http://amzn.to/x4XZFp

No comments:

Post a Comment